ER-6N and ER-6F Club Malaysia

DECEPTION, AND CREDULITY.

allenflying

DECEPTION, AND CREDULITY.

Post  allenflying on Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:16 pm

Pliny says, Moncler[url=Moncler]Moncler[/url] that Pythagoras composed a book on the magical virtues of plants, and first called the mandrake anthropomorphous, or man-shaped; this gave rise to the common practice of imposing on the ignorant by cutting the roots of briony into such a form. " There are many," says Mr. Martyn, tC in several parts of Europe, who carry about and sell roots to ignorant people, which handsomely make out the shape of a man or woman; but these are not the production of nature, but contrivances of art, as divers have noted, and Matthiolus plainly detected and exposed. He learned this way of trickery from a vagabond cheater under his care; Moncler jackets[url=Moncler jackets]Moncler jackets[/url] his words are, ' that is vain and fabulous which ignorant people and simple women believe, for the roots which are carried abqut by impostors, to deceive unfruitful women, are made of the roots of briony, and other plants; for in these, yet fresh and virent, they carve out the figures of men and women, first sticking therein the grains of barley or millet, where they intend the hair should grow; then bury them in sand until the grains shoot forth their roots, which at the longest will happen in twenty days; afterwards they clip and trim those tender strings in the fashion of beard, and other hairy teguments . Moncler vest Though much out of repute, even in Martyn's time, he says, "I have had them very gravely offered me for sale."
    Another virtue of this root was the power of procuring sleep. Cleopatra thus asks for it," Give me to drink mandragora.
    Charmian. Why, Madam ?
    Cleopat. That I may sleep out this great gap of time my Antony is away."
    And Iago, having basely deceived Othello, with a malignant joy, adds,—
    u Not poppy nor mandragora, Nor all the drowsy syrups of the world, f Shall ever medicine thee to that sweet sleep,Moncler coat Which thou ow'dst yesterday."

Current date/time is Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:08 pm